10 Minutes with Rapper Khuli Chana
The South African rapper has just dropped his iTunes link to his One Source EP and chats to Chia Kougianos about on his career, reveals his most memorable moment on stage and chats about the SA music scene next…
- What makes a successful track these days?
A dope beat, a hook and great video. The music game has changed and has become unpredictable but what will never go out of style is music that speaks from the heart and is timeless.
- What kind of sound are you feeling these days?
I’m feeling this soulful trap, dance hall and everything out of S.A hip-hop
- From your own experience, how has the SA music scene changed?
There are more independent labels, a lot more endorsement deals, more money and a better quality of music out there.
- You’ve toured a lot; in your opinion which city has the most exciting music scene?
Ghana, Accra with greats such as Sakodie, Samimi, Stone Boy and Shatta Wale
- Being completely honest, what was the first cassette or CD you ever bought?
Kris Kross- Young, Rich and Dangerous
- Weirdest thing to ever happen to you during a live performance?
I had an embarrassing moment trying to stage dive and let’s just say it didn’t end well…
- Most memorable moment on stage or during a studio session?
It would have to be opening for Kendrick Lamar’s 3 City Tour
- What do you enjoy doing most in your free time?
Spa treatments, drinking wine, playing PlayStation and listening to music
- Favourite Jozi hotspots?
Eyrie restaurant at Eagle Canyon Golf Estate and Four Seasons Westcliff Hotel Johannesburg
- What’s next for Khuli Chana?
Taking over the world through my music and telling more stories through movies