Pack The Perfect Picnic.
It’s time to celebrate the new season with a delicious picnic straight out of your microwave.
Spring is in the air. What better way to welcome the warmer weather than with a picnic under our great African skies. Whether it’s with family, friends or that special someone who makes your heart skip a beat, eating al fresco is always a winner. Surprisingly, Samsung’s HotBlast™ microwave might be the secret weapon to make your day out one to remember.
“Making life a little easier is part of Samsung’s mission. Using advanced technologies such as the Samsung HotBlast™ is just one way to entice people with mouth-watering delights,” says Tracy Gordon, Head of Product Marketing – Digital Appliances Samsung South Africa.
The Samsung HotBlast™ will help you whip up a delicious spread in no time. The device’s innovative technology reduces cooking times significantly. Powerful hot air is blown through multiple air-holes directly onto food, so it’s cooked evenly with a crispy outside and juicy inside. Despite its compact size, the internal dimensions have been increased, so the turntable is even wider, measuring 345 mm, enabling you to cook larger plates of food. But for your day under the sun you can opt for three simple, quick and tasty ideas, guaranteed to put a smile on any picnicker’s face.
A Coffee Cup Chilaquiles
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tortilla chips, divided
- 1 Tbsp salsa
- Sour cream
- Feta cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Beat egg and milk with a fork in a coffee cup, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cheddar; stir to coat.
- Break 3 or 4 tortilla chips into small pieces to fit into the cup and stir into the mixture. Add salsa.
- Microwave on high until done, about 1 minute, 10 seconds.
- Garnish with remaining tortilla chips, sour cream, feta and green onion.
Oven Fried Chicken
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pcs chicken drumsticks
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Mix buttermilk, mustard and garlic in a bowl.
- Add drumsticks and turn to coat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. It’s best to do it overnight.
- Mix flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Place one drumstick at a time onto the pan, coat generously with the batter and shake off excess flour.
- Shake off excess flour and place the chicken on the pan. Using Samsung HotBlast, press Slim Fry (code 8: drumsticks) and adjust the knob according to the serving size of your drumsticks.
- Put them on a high rack and press start.
- The oven will automatically detect the cooking time based on your serving size (approximately 20 min)
- Once you hear the beep sound, turn the drumsticks over and continue cooking.
And voila, it’s ready to be packed for the picnic.
A Microwave Cheesecake in a minute
- 6 grams cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2-4 Tbsp sugar (or substitute with honey), to your taste
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cook on high heat for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds to incorporate all ingredients.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Optional: Top with fresh fruit, whipped cream and chopped nuts.
Bonus Picnic Tips – Freeze water or juice the night before. You’ll appreciate that refreshing slush by the time you arrive. – Wet wipes, sunscreen, insect repellents and bin bags are non-negotiable must-haves.
- Swap the blanket for a It takes up less space and is easier to handle.
There you have it! From the kitchen to the great outdoors in no time. Sit back, relax and enjoy.