Unity In Action (Gauteng Sport Awards 2017 finalists to be announced).
It’s all systems go. The red carpet is dusted and rolled out for one of the biggest days in the Province sport calendar as the finalists for this year’s Gauteng Sport Awards #GSA17 are revealed.
This years celebration of the Province’s sporting stars is dedicated to the self-less legacy of struggle icon Oliver Reginald Tambo, who would have turned 100 in October. It is the year of “Unity in Action” We honor a man who fought hard for liberation and reflect on how far we’ve come in sport 23 years later.
Through sport we need to ensure that the liberation, unity and freedom is protected, preserved and promoted for all South Africans to enjoy what the likes of Oliver Reginald Tambo believed and stood for.
MEC for Sports Arts, Culture and Recreation Ms. Faith Mazibuko will reveal who the 2017 finalists are at Green Hills stadium, RandWest municipality on Friday, September 8. Randwest municipality is the host for the finalist announcement event and will be hosting numerous activities leading to the main awards event.
The finalists span across different sporting codes and represent a kaleidoscope of talents that have set and broken records and had spectators on the edge of their seats here at home and across the world as they gave their best performance.
Sport personalities, administrators, executives, government dignitaries, celebrities and media will rub shoulders as they toast this finest crop of achievers. There will also be live entertainment and a few surprises.
After a month-long call for entries, eligible stars will be recognised in the following categories:
● Sportsman of the Year
● Sportswoman of the Year
● Sports Team of the Year
● Disabled Sportswoman of the Year
● Disabled Sportsman of the Year
● Disabled Sports Team of the Year
● Most Promising Athlete of the Year
● Most Promising Team of the Year
● Coach of the Year
● Technical Official of the Year
● Administrator of the Year
● Recreation Programme of the Year
● Sport Journalist of the Year (Print Media, Radio and TV)
● Sport Programme of the Year
● Lifetime Achievement Award
● School Sport Athlete of the Year
● Community Sport and Recreation Programme of the Year
● Community Media of the Year (Print Media, Radio and TV)
An elated Ms. Faith Mazibuko, MEC for Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation in Gauteng enthused: ‘It’s only a matter of days before we know who cracked the nod for these coveted awards. It’s extra special that they happen at a time when we remember the gallant achievements of our struggle for liberation icon OR Tambo, whose exemplary life has inspired us to be better in all we do.
‘We also know that Gauteng is the home of champions and this makes the GSA highly competitive and the winners are held in high regard, this year will be no different. It’s crunch time, I can hardly wait to see just who the esteemed panel of judges has recognised for their hard work and dedication. I send my best wishes to all those who entered. ’
Notes to Editors
● SABC is the official broadcast partner
● Rand-West municipality is the host of GSA2017 for the finalist announcement
● The main event will be held on Sunday October 1 at SilverStar Casino
● GSA 2017 is brought to you by the Gauteng Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation
Join the conversation:
Facebook Gauteng Sport Awards
Issued by the Gauteng Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation