Winter is around the corner….and that means cold mornings and early sunsets.
Here are a few tips to keep you going, even if you don’t feel like going to gym:
- Take the stairs wherever possible;
- Park your car further from the shopping mall-entrance and walk the extra steps;
- Carry your shopping bags to the car instead of using a trolley;
- Put on a warm jacket and take an early morning or afternoon walk / jog in and around your neighbourhood – you will soon be warm and not feel the cold;
- If you are not keen on being outside in the cold, go to a mall and walk inside. If there are ramps in the parking lot, make use of them too! An hour’s brisk walking will burn 300 to 400 calories!
- Lastly; best to get everyone moving – from your dog to your kids. If not possible before work and school, then try to get out there before dark and enjoy the winter colours;
- Don’t want to miss your favourite television programme? March on the spot, skip rope or bounce on a mini trampoline, while watching it.
As for keeping your skin hydrated from the inside and staying healthy throughout the winter months, it is important to take extra vitamin C, a good vitamin B-complex, Omega 3’s, drink at least 6 – 8 glasses of water (tea without sugar and milk also counts as fluid) and do open the windows to let fresh air in.
Make sure you eat plenty of vegetables and fruit; always aim to eat of all the food groups, to obtain a healthy, balanced body.
Look out for face creams, body lotions, body washes and shower gels, with added olive oil, argan oil, extra vitamin E and chamomile, to help protect your skin from drying out.
Lastly; for those of you working and/or sleeping with the heating on: Place a small bowl of water in the room to keep the air moist. It will help to keep your skin and sinuses from drying out.
By: Ezette Viljoen (Health & Fitness Editor)