Summer grooming tips for men
Here are our top male grooming tips for summer:
- Skipping your skincare routine is never a good idea, but especially so in summer. Your face and beard may get sweaty during the day, so ensure you always wash your face thoroughly at night. Skipping this crucial step may lead to breakouts.
- Decide on your facial hair stance. Some men love a good clean shave when the weather heats up, whilst others prefer the protection of a beard. Either way, facial hair needs special attention all year round.
Reasons to keep or grow your beard in summer:
- Beards grower faster in summer. Though more true for some men than others, hair generally grows faster during summer due to our increased vitamin intake, time spent outdoors and in the sun, and a more active lifestyle. This means that you can grow your beard into your desired shape, faster, during the warmer months and there’s less of that “in between” awkwardness.
- It will keep you cool. In winter, beards protect the skin from wind (like a windbreaker), and in summer, it protect the skin from the heat of the sun.
- Your beard protects you from harmful UV rays. An Australian study has shown that beards act like a physical barrier between your skin and the sun, meaning you’re protected from harmful UVA and UVB rays (but don’t forget to apply SPF to the rest of your face though!).
Reasons to go bare:
- Sweating during summer. Unless you’re going to be fastidious about washing your beard and the skin under the beard, you may experience irritation from the sweat and damp.
- Save time while on your summer holiday. Beards require plenty of regular maintenance, or else they end up looking scruffy and unkempt. Most men agree that a clean shave every couple of days is far less time-consuming than maintaining a beard.
- Even if you keep your beard clean and tidy, it can get a bit messy with the warmer weather. Taking a big bite out of a delicious piece of watermelon or applying sunscreen may leave you with unwanted stickiness (and let’s face it, we’re not always around a basin to get cleaned up).
However you plan on styling your facial hair this summer, we recommend FINO’s comprehensive grooming range to keep your beard, stubble and skin healthy, clean and soft.
FINO Soothe MAN (R69.95)
Helps combat ingrown hair, razor bumps and burn after shaving. It also relieves irritation and redness while reducing itchiness associated with new hair growth. A synergistic blend of vitamin A and fruit enzymes exfoliate, moisturise and purify the skin, preventing infections.
FINO MAN Gel Face Wash (R70.00)
Gently removes daily impurities from the skin and beard and promotes soft and moisturised skin whilst protecting against ingrown hair and bumps.
FINO Bump Control (R70.00)
Reduces the appearance of razor bumps with results visible within 72 hours. This handy pump bottle contains a blend of natural Tea tree oil, astringents and moisturisers that leave skin feeling smooth, looking good and healthy! The serum is easy to apply and can be used on the beard area and head after wet or dry shaving.
FINO Beard and Shave Oil (R135.00)
This multipurpose product is a blend of non-greasy natural carrier oils and healing essential oils that nourish and moisturise the beard (as well as the skin underneath). Can be used daily for a softer and more manageable beard, and also makes the perfect shaving oil!