The Entertainment Industry Is All About Building Relationships.
we go behind the scenes event expert Manuela Dias De Deus of One-eyed Jack agency.
- Describe your day to day role? Even though I’m the founding member of One-eyed Jack, I’m still pretty hands-on and love working with our team to create exciting campaigns. My day’s filled with creative brainstorms, trouble-shooting and pitching.
- What is the most challenging aspect of your position? It’s hard to remember to work on the business and not in the business.
- What is the most rewarding? Achieving something meaningful and realising the impact that it’s had on someone personally. Last year we worked with Whacked Management and Savanna to launch an award that recognise the best comedians on the continent. The impact that this initiative had on the lives of the nominees was astounding; it was so gratifying to have been part of it.
- Work life balance is so important, how do you strive for that in a fast paced industry? There are always going to be challenges that steer you away from ‘you time’. Having a team in place that you trust to manage things on your behalf is helpful, as is considering your choices carefully before committing to handling something in a certain way.
- What is one of your most memorable moments at One-eyed Jack? We had a run of about 11 shows over five week period and were all operating at full steam. At one of the events in its production office, we each started laughing in hysterics at the idea of how we were going to cope with the next couple of weeks. It was a liberating, hilarious moment of reflection and brought us all closer together.
- What or whom has been the most influential person in your career? My dad. When I was at school and even at tech, I wasn’t particularly driven, but my father kept pushing me to succeed. When I started working I found an inherent drive that I attribute to his influence on my life.
- What would you like to change about the industry in the coming years that champion women and the growth of the industry? I’d like to highlight the incredible female talent out there. I’d like to encourage event owners to consider the male/female split on their line ups, and expose the incredibly talented women behind the scenes in the production and creative industries.
- Have you had any huge life changing epiphanies that have shaped you into the women you are today? I headed to the UK a few years ago in the hope to break into the entertainment marketing industry and managed to land a dream job that shaped my future. The epiphany was something that everyone always tells you but you never really believe; if you want something enough, just set your sights on it and the universe will conspire to deliver it.
- What is your life philosophy? When in doubt, do!
- What advice and guidance can you offer other young people looking to start their career in marketing or getting into the “behind the scenes” work in entertainment industry? The entertainment industry is small, take the time to get to know the people you work with on site, build relationships. Accept help from others, and offer assistance to who you can, it’ll go a long way to pave the way for you in the future.
Finish the sentence
- I can’t live without: My family.
- What will someone be surprised to learn about you: I sneeze seven times in a row!
- Favourite music/band? Depends on my mood. I’m a huge indie-rock fan but throw in bluegrass or electro and I’m in my element. I’ve listened to Zaz’s “Éblouie par la nuit” about 100 times!
- Best place ever travelled to? Myanmar was quite something given its political climate at the time, it was an amazing experience.
- Your idea of fun: Doing something outdoorsy with friends during the day with a house party of sorts that night.
One-eyed Jack is an award-winning specialist entertainment marketing agency and the team behind the recent 2018 Savanna Comic’s Choice Awards.