The Spirit Of Mgqumeni Lives.
When people hear the genre “Maskandi,” they often think of performers like the late uMgqumeni, iNdidane and etc. Those guys have provided the foundation for the present Maskandi style but the newer bands have to carry over from them.
In 2012, Nelisani Ndlemnyama Mseleku and Sakhiseni Mseleku created a maskandi group called “ABAFANA BAKAMGQUMENI” which without them knowing, would become the most successful and popular group in this era, Popular enough that the group has performed at Ural Music nights, in Russia. They did 5 shows in different places such as Yekaterinburg,Alapaevesk and Moscow.
Abafana baka Mgqumeni have become so powerful that they now travel overseas more than once a year. Before Abafana bakaMgqumeni, the maskandi musicians that made it into overseas were Ondabuzekwayo, a group formed by the late Mjikijelwa, who is the product of uMgqumeni.
It is safe to say that The name MGQUMENI carries great influence in the maskandi genre, and it has the success pattern.
Nelisani and Sakhiseni Mseleku have pledged to continue with their brother’s legacy “Ezebhova Music Production”and do everything in their power to carry out his vision and dreams.
Nelisani Ndlemnyama Mseleku says “ Everyone has a milestone in his or her life that change the direction of his/her life for better or for worse.Our brother passed away in 2009, a week before Christmas. I was only 23 at the time,I was still an ignorant boy that he was mentoring. My role model was now gone, forcing me to reevaluate the direction my life was heading. I needed to reexamine some of the lessons he taught me through the years. One of the painful events is when Sibusiso Gcabashe appeared and claimed to be Mgqumeni, that is when we started the group Abafana baka Mgqumeni.”
NELISANI NDLEMNYAMA MSELEKU
Ndlemnyama whose real name is Nelisani Mseleku was born on 27th February 1986 at eMpofane village,in Nquthu, Kwa-Zulu Natal in South Africa. He is band leader,Singer and songwriter. His late relatives Mahukela, Wendy, Bheki, Mashelela, Khanda and Mgqumeni contributed a lot in developing the maskandi genre. Therefore he had no choice but to join his family in making history. His parents Bizowakhe Mseleku and Phuzukubona Mbatha Mseleku were un-employed, Nelisani had to utilise his singing talent. He didn’t go far with education, he started his primary level at Entabasibahle primary school in 1991,proceeded to Kufanele Sibonge Senior secondary school and completed his matric at Ngwakazi High school. Nelisani worked as a backup vocalist in many of Mgqumeni’s projects. One of the reasons he started Ezebhova music production was to assist in raising 12 kids of his late brother Mgqumeni.
SAKHISENI SKHEVANE MSELEKU
Loosing parents is one of the most devastating things that can happen to a child but it shouldn’t stop you from being successful. Skhevane born in 1982 at eMpofane, lost his parents Khethabahle and Thembi Nene Mseleku before he could start his primary level and He was raised by his maternal family at Mtubatuba. When Mgqumeni launched his solo career in 2003, he recruited Skhevane and appointed him to lead one of the groups, Ogezoo. Since then Skhevane never looked back but worked hard, hand in hand with his fellow cousin Nelisani Ndlemnyama Mseleku to keep Mgqumeni’s legacy alive.
Mgqumeni Kwakhe Mseleku was a Maskandi-renowned guitarist, composer, bandleader, singer and antagonistic Zulu voice who remained humble and calm,while his opponents were raging. He was born in the town of Nquthu, Kwa-Zulu Natal in 1981-01-03 and died on 19-12-2009. Mgqumeni’s big break came in 2003 when he launched his solo career with an album titled Easy Come,Easy Go. His fifth album iMagic sold 78 000 copies within a month. He mentored and produced many maskandi artists and groups: Amagcokama, Ogezoo,Abakwethu, Indlamanzi, Amatshitshi Amhlophe, Ubuhle begubazi and Umlamu wham to name few.
ABAFANA BAKA MGQUMENI ALBUMS:
2013: I-fitting room
2015: Injomane yami
Utalagu Maskandi Festival
Impucuzeko Maskandi Festival
Royal Show Ground(Ukhozi FM)
Ural Music Night Festival Russia : Yakateringburg
Izwi Lomzansi FM
Newcastle community radio
Voice of Tembisa and etc
SABC 1 Roots
OVWH (Shembe uNyazi TV)
- Achievements: 1. 2013, nominated Best song of the year Amantshontsho kaMaskandi Awards. 2. 2014, nominated best downloaded song (Viva ngoBaby)
- 3. 2014, Best Male artist SATMA Awards. 4. 2015 nominated in two groups Amagcokama and Abafana bakaMgqumeni as Best Maskandi Albums,SATMA Awards. 4. In 2016 we were nominated in three categories on three groups Abafana bakaMgqumeni Best Stage Perfomance, Amagcokama Best Song of the year. 5. In 20 17, nominated at SATMA awards as best maskandi album “abafana Baka mgqumeni 6 to 6″ 6. 2017, WON SABC CROWN GOSPEL AWARDS, Best maskandi gospel song “Uzungivikele Ezitheni”
- 7. In 2017 we sold 15 000 units cds of the album “abafana Baka mgqumeni 6 to 6” and was awarded the Gold Disc award. 8. In 2018 we have been nominated and awarded SAMA24 Awards as best Maskand Album “ abafana Baka mgqumeni 6 to 6” Facebook Group: EzeBhova Music Production Fan Group Instagram: @ezebhova_music_production Email address : email@example.com Contact number : 079 141 3300 Branches Gauteng: Johannesburg CBD, Soweto, Tembisa, Vosloorus, Germiston, etc Kwazulu Natal: Durban, Mtubatuba, Nqutu, Newcastle, Mzimkhulu, Dundee etc. Western Cape: Capetown, Khayelisha, Phillippi, etc Eastern Cape: Mthatha, Bizana, Middelburg, East London, Port Elizabeth, etc. Mpumalanga: Standerton, Ermelo, Witbank, etc Northwest: Rusternburg (Marikana) Northern Cape: Kimberley, Prieska, DeAar, Zimbabwe: KwaBulawayo, Swaziland : Kwamanzini, Enhlangano
- We have fans nationwide and in nearby countries:
- Some of our videos and songs are on YouTube, ITunes, MTN Music plus to download or view search: Amagcokama; Abafana bakaMgqumeni; Ogezoo Facebook Page: EzeBhova Music Production.
FOLLOW GAUTENG ONLINE LIFESTYLE MAGAZINE;
Facebook: Gauteng Online Lifestyle Magazine
LinkedIn: Gauteng Lifestyle Online
By: Khanyisile Mseleni (Content Producer)